Glamis Castle Archives

The building of the Castle as we know it today was begun in 1400 and many additions and alterations have been carried out over the centuries, particularly during the period of Patrick, 3rd Earl of Strathmore in the late 17th century. Its walls have witnessed over six hundred years of comings and goings, from illustrious royals, prime ministers, artists, writers, friends, associates, tradesmen, clergy, governesses, servants and tenants, etc. It is therefore not surprising that the Castle has a rich and diverse archive dating back to the 12th century, documenting the lives of not just the Strathmore family, but also a wide spectrum of society from Scotland, England and abroad.

 

Records at Glamis Castle Archives:

 

Information for Family Historians

Factors’ accounts are a good source for finding references to tenants and local tradesmen; however, it is rare for servants to be named individually. Only two wage books for the House Steward’s Department survive for 1851-1861 and 1888 – 1903 respectively. There are some photographs of staff at the Castle and Estate workers, but few of these are named individually. See Genealogy FAQs for further information.

 

It is recommended that before contacting Glamis, family historians should have specific names and dates. A good starting point is to look online at www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk , where original birth, marriage and death entries from 1855 onwards can be viewed, when civil registration became compulsory in Scotland. In addition, the Old Parish Registers of Births, Marriages and Deaths prior to 1855 and Census Records for 1841 to 1911 can be found on this website. Indexes can be searched free of charge and credits can be purchased for a minimal charge to view and download images of records.

 

Charges for consultation/research at Glamis Castle Archives

£30 per hour for research carried out by the Archivist (inclusive of relevant photocopies/images, subject to preservation requirements)

£10-£15 per hour for visitors (access is restricted to two days per week, usually Tuesdays and Wednesdays, and must be arranged a minimum of two weeks in advance. Please note the archives are located at the top of the tower and there are no lift facilities or wheelchair access to the archives; however alternative arrangements may be made on request.)

 

Conditions governing access

Open for consultation by prior appointment at the discretion of the Archivist and Strathmore Estates, subject to the usual 100-year closure period and preservation requirements. Please contact the Archivist at ingrid@glamis-castle.co.uk

 

Conditions governing Reproduction

Reproduction is available subject to preservation and legal requirements.  Charges are made for this service, and copyright and other restrictions may apply.

Testimonials