Assistant Gardener Position
Glamis castle has a vacancy for a Full Time Assistant Gardener to help the existing team maintain and develop this historically important garden and landscape.
The successful applicant must have practical and proven horticultural experience, ideally with a relevant qualification. Also be able to demonstrate general expertise and sound knowledge of common gardening practices.
Good attention to detail required as well as being a team-player with excellent communication skills and the ability to work unsupervised.
A clean driving licence is essential.
For more details and a full job description please visit our website at www.glamis-castle.co.uk
Telephone: 01307 840393
Applications are invited in writing with a current CV attached to:
Strathmore Estates (Holding) Ltd, Glamis, Forfar, DD8 1RJ
Glamis Castle is the ancestral home of the Earls of Strathmore and the childhood home of Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother. It is a beautifully romantic Castle and the gardens are an integral part of our visitor’s experience. Situated five miles west of Forfar and ten miles north of Dundee the Castle is part of the 14,000 acre Strathmore Estate which sits between the Sidlaw Hills and the Grampian Mountains. Glamis Castle is the most important tourist attraction in the area with over 100,000 visitors per year and many interesting outdoor events. The Castle grounds are home to interesting fauna including red squirrel, deer, otter and a wide range of birds.
The extensive gardens at Glamis include formal lawns, Italian garden, hedging, extensive perennial borders, woodland, a pinetum and a productive walled garden
The successful applicant must have practical and proven horticultural experience, Ideally with a relevant qualification. They will be able to demonstrate general expertise and sound knowledge of common gardening practices. They will be self-motivated and be able to work with minimum supervision.
- Help to maintain the garden and grounds to a high standard of presentation.
- Work alongside the Head Gardener and the existing garden team.
- Undertake regular grounds maintenance tasks as instructed by the Head Gardener, including grass cutting, hedge cutting and weed control.
- Must have good plant knowledge and sound knowledge of plant care.
- Engage positively with visitors while working in the garden.
- Pervious experience in a horticulture position and/or a horticulture qualification.
- Able to show a competent level of knowledge of grass and grounds care machines.
- Able to work a Monday to Friday work pattern
- A clean driving license is essential.
- Experience of working in a public facing position would be preferred but not essential.
- Have a positive attitude to health and safety.
- Prepared to help with non-gardening duties on occasions.
Terms and Conditions:
- The holiday entitlement is 29 days per annum including all public holidays.
- Salary will be paid four weekly in arrears by bank credit transfer.
Applications are invited in writing with a current CV attached to: email@example.com or Strathmore Estates (Holding) Ltd, Glamis, Forfar, DD8 1RJ