Glamis House was built in 1800 -1802 for the accommodation of Patrick Proctor, the Factor to the 10th Earl of Strathmore & Kinghorne on the Glamis estate.
It was later occupied by Charlotte Grimstead, Lady Glamis, widow of Thomas, Lord Glamis. Two of Charlotte’s sons inherited the Strathmore title – Thomas, who became the 12th Earl in 1846 and Claude, 13th Earl. She was therefore the great grandmother of Lady Elizabeth Bowes Lyon (the future Queen Mother). A significant matriarch of the Strathmore family, Charlotte’s portrait hangs in the Dining Room at Glamis Castle. Thus, Glamis House effectively became the Dower House until 1881, when it reverted to its original purpose and became the Factor’s House once more. It was occupied by Andrew Ralston, Glamis Estate Factor until 1912, when his son, Gavin Ralston succeeded him as Factor, and carried on living in Glamis House until 1949.
In the late 20th century, Glamis House became the residence of Mary, Dowager Countess of Strathmore & Kinghorne, widow of the 17th Earl, who lived there for several years, during which times H.M. The Queen, H.M. The Queen Mother and H.R.H The Princess Margaret were regular visitors. Michael, 18th Earl, then made Glamis House his home with his third wife, Karen Baxter. The 19th Earl decided to renovate Glamis House in 2017 and now this notable historic residence can continue to be enjoyed and appreciated by a wide range of people for years to come.
To book Glamis House please contact Glamis Castle on
01307 840393 or firstname.lastname@example.org