Timeline

Timeline2018-03-01T10:21:46+00:00

Witness to over 1000 years of history in the heart of Angus is the stunning and historic Glamis Castle. Ancestral seat to the Earls of Strathmore and Kinghorne, inspiration for Shakespeare’s Macbeth and childhood home of H.M. Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother.

Learn all about the history with our new timeline! Simply scroll down and discover…

1034

King Malcolm II is murdered on the site of the present castle

1034

1040

Macbeth becomes King of Scotland

1040

1057

Macbeth is deposed and Malcolm III becomes King of Scots

1057

1329

Robert The Bruce takes Glamis back into the protection of the Crown from the Baliol Family

1329

1372

Sir John Lyon is granted the thaneage of Glamis by King Robert II

1372

1375

Pope Gregory 11th relieves the perpetual vicar of Glamis of paying an annual pension on lands he handed back, signed at Avignon

1375

1376

Sir John marries Princess Johanna Daughter of King Robert II

1376

1382

Sir John is killed by James Lindsay after a quarrel

1382

1400

The building of the castle as we know it today commences

1400

1445

Sir John’s grandson Patrick is created a peer of the parliament and becomes 1st Lord Glamis

1445

1451

Lord Glamis becomes ambassador to England

1451

1537

Lady Glamis is found guilty of witchcraft and executed in Edinburgh

1537

1537

Glamis is forfeit to the Crown and is occupied by King James V until his death in 1542

1537

1542

Glamis Castle is restored to John, 7th Lord Glamis

1542

1562

Mary Queen of Scots visits Glamis

1562

1603

Patrick, 9th Lord Glamis accompanies King James VI & I to London when the King ascends to the English throne

1603

1606

The 9th Lord Glamis is created Earl of Kinghorne by King James VI

1606

1650

Cromwell’s Troops occupy Glamis Castle

1650

1670-1689

Major renovations are carried out at Glamis castle by Patrick, the 3rd Earl

1670-1689

1677

The 3rd Earl is created Earl of Strathmore and Kinghorne by King Charles II

1677

1688

The Chapel is completed and dedicated

1688

1689

Bonny Dundee is killed shortly after the Battle of Killiekrankie and his bullet proof coat is presented to the Earl of Strathmore

1689

1715

John, 5th Earl is killed at the Battle Sheriffmuir

1715

1716

The Old Pretender (The Jacobite King James VIII & III) visits Glamis Castle

1716

1728

Charles, 6th Earl is killed in a drunken skirmish in Forfar

1728

1746

The Duke of Cumberland’s troops occupy Glamis Castle

1746

1767

John, 9th Earl marries Mary Eleanor Bowes and the family name is changed.

1767

1773

The 9th Earl pulls down the west wing and adds new kitchens and the Billiard Room. Glamis Village built to relocate estate workers.

1773

1793

[Sir] Walter Scott visits Glamis and drinks from the lion cup

1793

1801

West wing rebuilding completed

1801

1820

The 10th Earl dies and his illegitimate son, John Bowes, is denied the Earldom which passes to his uncle Thomas, who becomes the 11th Earl

1820

1869

The Bowes Museum is founded by John Bowes and the foundation stone is laid by his wife, Josephine, but sadly neither of them live to see its opening in 1892

1869

1891

The 13th Earl completes the building of the East Wing

1891

1900

Lady Elizabeth Bowes Lyon (HM The Queen Mother), the youngest daughter of Lord Glamis is born

1900

1904

The 14th Earl inherits following the death of his father the 13th Earl. The Earl and his children, including Lady Elizabeth, frequently reside at Glamis.

1904

1923

Lady Elizabeth marries Prince Albert and becomes HRH The Duchess of York

1923

1930

Princess Margaret is born at Glamis and King George V and Queen Mary visit

1930

1936

HRH Elizabeth Duchess of York, the youngest daughter of the 14th Earl becomes HM Queen Elizabeth upon the succession her husband as King George VI

1936

1937

The 14th Earl and Countess attend the coronation of their daughter and son in law

1937

1950

Glamis Castle is opened to the public for the first time

1950

1972

The 17th Earl and Countess begin work to improve the visitor’s entrance and restaurant in the Castle and build a new private entrance for the Castle

1972

1996

The reconstructed ornamental bridge at Glamis is opened and named The Earl Michael Bridge after the 18th Earl

1996

2016

The 19th Earl inherits following the death of his father. He is only the third member of his family to hold the title of Master of Glamis, Lord Glamis and Earl of Strathmore and Kinghorne.

2016

2017

An Exhibition of the Coronation Robes worn by HM Queen Elizabeth, Queen Consort, and her daughters HRH The Princess Elizabeth (HM The Queen) and HRH The Princess Margaret is opened at Glamis to commemorate the 90th anniversary of the Coronation of King George VI and his Queen Consort in 1937. The exhibition closed at the end of of the 2017 season.

2017